Skip to main content

Perceptions

Although I realise that what I'm about to write is not what my philosophy lecturer intended for me to learn today, I can write it coz this is my blog. Deal.

Let me first set the scene: the class sits noisily awaiting this terms lecturer wondering what he will look like, what will he teach us and will I fall asleep. He walks in - we don't realise it is him til he walks onto the podium and sets up - he is young-looking, sporting some jack parcels, worn jeans and a non-descript shirt. He is what I would percieve to be one who dresses for practical reasons only, already he has me smiling, from the second this man opens his mouth - no actualy, from his first sentence coz then my sentence wont make real sense - you can tell he is smart. And not the kind of smart that goes around saying its smart without real proof, no, neither he is the kind of smart that goes around saying big words either, he is just smart. He goes on  about perceptions, sense perceptions in relation to metaphysics and philosophy and somewhere in there a fellow student uses unicorns to prove her point and later magic...point is I was entertained and gathered a few things about the space that is our class time with this man; he sets a certain atmosphere that makes certain behaviour possible, out-of-place, compulsory and involuntary and he does this purposefully. Which is why I call him a smart man. He mentions that he wants to leave us with practical knowledge that can be used in our lives, I thank him for giving me a practical use of what I learned in Anthropology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The riot has been televised : madness in protea south

The riots in Protea South in Soweto have left the residents of both Chiawelo and Protea North shaken, perplexed and genuinely confused. One who lives in a house cannot possibly fathom the problems a person who lives in a shack faces on a day to day basis. With that in mind I, as a resident of Chiawelo , cannot understand how the people of the shanty town in Protea south can choose to stay in an unsafe area that is not fit for habitation when a better suited area with houses made available for them  has been prepared. Never-mind the luxuries of having a shopping complex a five-minutes’ walk away,a police station a stones throw away, a main road that provides many modes of transport  and few services that are taken illegally, should it not be health that takes precedence over convenience in this case. This is just my opinion.

You walked lightly

You Walked Lightly You walked lightly into my life Captivating and lovely to my mind, At first, I never cared who you were Now I don’t know who I am without you, You kissed me I felt my world change, You held me I heard my heart awaken, You loved me And my soul was born anew You walked lightly into my life Now my heart knows who you are And with every breath And every step I take down lonely roads, Your hand is my staff Your voice is my guide Your strength my shelter You’re passion my awakening. You walked lightly into my life, And all my pain You took as your own, And all my fears You cast into the sea, All my doubt Lost in your eyes, You walked lightly into my life And no matter if you choose to stay or go, My life is forever changed, Just because you loved me For a moment in time. And because I choose To love you For the rest of mine. - Tracey Newson -
             VS Be fore we compare these two new kids on the block, lets learn more about them, shall we? Both proteges of very popular superstars - Kanye West and Jay-Z - these two are very different from each other. Jcole Born Jermaine Lamar Cole, Jcole is a lyricist of note. He is signed to his mentors record label Roc Nation (2009). He has spawned hit songs such as " Can't get enough" featuring the sexy Trey Songz, "No body's Perfect" featuring the on-point and sexy Missy Elliot and "Work it" which I found offensive at first...the track is too good to stay mad at. Cole released his debut album in 2011 " Cole World: The sideline story" referring to his long awaited jump into the industry after being signed for two years and not releasing anything. His music focuses on the story and lyrics; the beat is secondary yet carries the hook beautifully. Honestly he's my favourite. http://www.jc...